The Scientific Objectives of SESAME.
The rationale underlying the SESAME project is:
- Merging, with particular emphasis on understanding the physical processes
involved in merging in the vicinity of the cusp, the processes which define the cusp signature
at ionospheric altitudes, and those driving ionospheric convection on the dayside;
- Reconnection on the nightside and how different phases of the substorm
cycle relate to it;
- The mapping of geospace boundaries into the polar ionosphere,
the identification of boundaries using in situ data as a calibrator, and ground-based data
to study their temporal and spatial variability as a function of solar wind forcing;
- Ionosphere/thermosphere interactions, with the aim of tracking the
dissipation of geospace energy within the thermosphere in the form of winds and internal
- Wave-particle interactions, in particular the role played by plasma waves
in the exchange of energy between the ionosphere and magnetosphere.
Back to introduction