- Waves play an important, though imperfectly understood, role in the overall behaviour of
- They carry energy and information between widely-separated regions, and may interact strongly with the
plasma through which they pass.
- Wave-particle and wave-wave interactions lead to a variety of phenomena such as plasma heating, particle
acceleration, particle precipitation into the ionosphere, anomalous resistivity, etc.
- Wave studies are required for understanding the behaviour of geospace
as a complete coupled system of particles, waves, fields and plasmas.
- In particular, we need the ability to predict the impact of geospace
processes on man's activities.
- Conversely, the effect of man on his near-space environment includes the consequences of wave radiation
from artificial sources such as power lines and radio transmitters on the natural balance of