- Exploits the advantages of Antarctica
as an experimental platform for wave studies:
- It spans a wide range of geophysical regions (inner magnetosphere - polar cap).
- The very levels of low artificial electromagnetic noise permit sensitive measurements.
- There are also low natural noise levels (no local thunderstorms).
- A high whistler activity in
British Antarctic Territory, due to conjugate thunderstorm activity and preferential
amplification/ precipitation (because of the proximity in longitude of the South Atlantic
- There is a large offset between geographic and geomagnetic latitude: giving extreme
conditions for comparison with models.
- The conjugacy with north east USA (high electrical power use) is advantageous for
- Uses ground data (from manned observatories and from AGOs) and satellite data; BAS has long
and continuous data sets.
- Relevant staff research expertise and good experimental and theoretical facilities.
- Network of international and national collaborations
- Participation in international research programmes (e.g. ISTP ,